National Museum of History and Art
Click on the image to visit the National Museum of History and Art website
The National Museum of History and Art is located in the centre of the old town, on the Fish Market, situated at the intersection of two ancient Roman roads.
On display is an impressive archaeological and historical collection, as well as works of art by Old Masters, and by renowned Luxembourgish painters and sculptors.
Featured images: © MNHA Luxembourg
Museum of Modern Art Grand-Duc Jean
Click on the image to visit the MUDAM website
Famous architect I.M. Pei chose the historic site of the Fort Thüngen for the construction of the Musée d’Art Moderne Grand-Duc Jean (MUDAM).
The collection counts over 200 works by more than 100 artists.
Mudam offers temporary exhibitions, a presentation of works from the collection, guided tours, encounters, workshops, and much more.
Featured image: © MUDAM
Museum Dräi Eechelen
Click on the image to view 360° panoramas
The Museum Dräi Eechelen with the motto Fortress, History, Identities is situated a stone’s throw from Mudam, in the restored keep of Fort Thüngen , which dates from 1732.
Dräi Eechelen refers to the three towers in the shape of acorns.
The permanent exhibition illustrates a different era of the fortress in each of the underground casemates as well as their influence on the country’s history. The tour begins in the Middle Ages with the capture of the city of Luxembourg by the Burgundians in 1443, and ends with the construction of the Pont Adolphe in 1903.
More than 600 objects and original documents, many of which have never been shown before, highlight the diversity of the collections. A special room houses a selection of historical photographs showing the fortress immediately before and after it was razed in the 19th century.
Featured image: © LCTO
National Museum of Natural History
Click on the image to visit the National Museum of Natural History website (in French)
Founded in 1854 under the patronage of Prince Henry of the Netherlands, The National Museum of Natural History, (Naturmusée in Lëtzebuergesch), was first housed in the Old Athenaeum college, moved to the Vauban Barracks in Paffental in 1892, then to the Fish Market in 1922, and finally in 1996 to three separate buildings in the Rue Münster in the Grund, one of which is the ancient Hospice Saint-Jean.
The museum is dedicated to all the various fields of Natural History, including Zoology and Botany, Ecology, Paleontology, Mineralogy, as well as Geophysics and Astrophysics.
Lëtzebuerg City Museum
Click on the image to visit the Lëtzebuerg City Museum website
The Lëtzebuerg City Museum, wich occupies four adjacent town houses in the Rue du Saint-Esprit, contains a permanent exhibition entitled The Luxembourg Story, about the thousand-year old history of the town, and presents occasional temporary exhibits.
Between 1732 and 1797 the main building used to be the Refuge of the Abbey of Orval, a safe house used during times of war, and from 1903 to 1994 it was the Music Conservatory of the City of Luxembourg.
The museum was designed by Luxembourg architect Conny Lentz and Repérages, Paris, and inaugurated in 1996. A panoramic lift, which can hold up to 65 people, descends through the entire height of the building. Thanks to its glass walls, the public can admire the panoramic views of the Grund district and the Rham plateau on the upper levels, and the rock foundations visible on the lower levels. Six of the levels are open to the public.
The collection is very diverse, displaying objects originating from the industrial, artistic and commercial heritage of the capital, as well as models, plans and engravings, posters, textiles, ceramics, photographs, postcards, and objects used in daily life.
Featured image: © Lëtzebuerg City Museum
The Steichen Collections
Click on the image to visit the Steichen Collections
The Steichen Collections of the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg assemble works connected to the heritage of Edward J. Steichen (1879 – 1973), the American artist of Luxembourgish descent, famous for his remarkably long and fruitful career. Not only was he a very prolific photographer, he was also director of the photography department at the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) in New York, where his work as curator of photographic exhibitions was acclaimed worldwide.
The collections on display in Luxembourg reflect his two-fold activity: In Luxembourg City, the National Museum of History and Art, the Villa Vauban and the Art Gallery ‘Am Tunnel’ honour the photographer with a selection of his private and commissioned works.
The Centre National de l’Audiovisuel (CNA) with its two collections The Family of Man (in Clervaux) and The Bitter Years (in Dudelange), highlights his achievements as curator, assembling the works by famous photographers of the 20th century.
The Family of Man
Click on the image to visit the Family of Man, Clervaux
In 1966, in accordance with Steichen’s wishes, the United States government presented his native country with a traveling edition of The Family of Man. Steichen was honored by the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg as Commandeur de l’Ordre de Mérite. The exhibition is now on permanent display at Clervaux Castle.
‘The Family of Man’ was officially included in the ‘UNESCO Memory of the World’ Register in 2003.
Featured image: © Visit Luxembourg
The Bitter Years
Click on the image to visit The Bitter Years, Dudelange
The Bitter Years is the last exhibition famous photographer Edward Steichen curated as the Director of the Photography Department of the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) in New York.
It is a testimony to documentary photography, featuring over 200 images from one of the largest collective projects in the history of photography: the documentation of rural America during the Great Depression by the Farm Security Administration (FSA).
Fifty years after its opening at MoMA, The Bitter Years has now found a permanent home in Dudelange, Luxembourg, on the site of a former steel mill, in the stunning Waassertuerm Gallery, an old water tower, next to the Centre national de l’audiovisuel (CNA).
Art Gallery ‘Am Tunnel’
Click on the image to visit the ‘Am Tunnel’ website
The Art Gallery Am Tunnel is housed in secure underground tunnels dug in 1987 on the Plateau Bourbon in Luxembourg City, between the various buildings of the Spuerkeess, Luxembourg’s National Savings Bank.
The entrance in the Building Rousegäertchen, 16, Rue Zithe, leads to a tunnel 15 metres underground and some 350 metres long, containing an impressive collection of the visual arts, the majority of which are works by contemporary Luxembourgish artists.
The main part is occupied by a gallery space which allows the bank to organise temporary exhibitions of works by both internationally renowned artists and lesser-known talents.
The remaining part is dedicated to the The Edward Steichen Space, a permanent display of works by the world-famous American photographer, who was born in Luxembourg.
Featured image: Spuerkeess Lëtzebuerg